Ave Maria Convent, Negombo, an esteemed school in the island today, was initiated as St. Mary’s English Girl’s School at Grand Street Church premises, Negombo in 1890. With the passage of time it was shifted to its present location along the Chilaw Road in order to cater to the increasing number of students in 1939. It is a school run by Good Shepherd sisters whose vision is to produce Good Shepherdesses to the society after the example of Jesus the Good Shepherd.  Rev. Sr. Annunciata, a Good Shepherd nun is considered as the first principal of “Ave Maria” and at present it is piloted by Rev. Sr. Shirani Algama.


The principals who reigned in the school at the present premises are Mrs. B. Dharmawardena, Rev Sr. Margrette Mary, Rev Sr. Xaverine, Rev. Sr. Sabine, Rev. Sr. Delphine, Rev Sr. Hermengilde, Rev. Sr. Nirmala Abeysinghe, Rev. Sr Paul, Rev. Sr. Melani Fernandopulle, Rev. Sr. Lynette Perera, Rev. Sr. Thomas Aquinas, Rev. Sr. Marjorie Silva, Rev. Sr. Laetitia, Rev. Sr. Chandrika Perera and Rev. Sr. Francine Muthugala.

A 1 55014


Ave Maria Convent is a Government Aided Private School which is under the patronage of His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith and the General Manager of Private Catholic Schools (Western Province) Rev. Fr. Ranjith Madurawela. The school gets all the support from the officials of the Zonal Education Office Negombo. It gives honour to the Negombo Zone in the field of Singing, Dancing, Music, Athletics, Mathematics and General Knowledge and adds glamour to the functions in the zone with the music provided by the Eastern and Western Bands.


Physical resources consist of seven buildings which provide classrooms for nearly 3000 students from Grades 1 to 13. A library, a computer lab, laboratories for Physics, Chemistry and Biology along with a junior lab for Intermediate classes, dancing and music rooms for both Eastern and Western, the hall etc… The newly put up auditorium is a blessing as it provides opportunities for the students to expose their talents and to conduct important functions of the school.


The Principal and the staff consisting 142 teachers are dedicated in the mission to empower each student to reach her academic, social and spiritual potential to the highest level. The School is also supported by the Welfare Society, The Past Pupils’ Association and the parents. A wide range of extra-curricular activities in the field of Sports, Literary Activities, Drama, Singing, Dancing, Debating etc provide students opportunities to sharpen their talents and to build up their personality.
The motto: ‘In Thy Light’ appears on the school logo along with the sign of the Holy Spirit and the seven rays which depict the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit that are always showered upon the school, which is consecrated to the Holy Virgin Mary.


In 2013 at the G.C.E. (O/L) examination 30 students bagged 9A’s while 25 students captured 8A’s and 17 students 7A’s. From the results of 2012 G.C.E. (A/L) 15 students entered the university in the Science Stream, 9 from the Commerce Stream and 10 from the Arts Stream.


In the year 2013 at The John Tarbat Junior Athletic Meet, Ave Marians raised the flag of the school higher by obtaining the All Island Championship.
Ave Maria Convent is a renowned school in the Island in many spheres has produced great personalities in political, law, medical, engineering and business fields not only at National Level but also at International Level.

- Sujitha Miranda

 

 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

.