Walisinghe Harishchandra Maha Vidyalaya is situated at the heart of the ancient capital city of Anuradhapura, in the division of NuwaragamPalatha East. It belongs to the Anuradhapura education zone in the North Central Province.
Parakramabahu Central College with the mission of “Building a future generation who identifies human and environmental values and keeps the pace with the modern world”ranks the best school in the area is the result of the untiring efforts of Rev.Pallewela Palitha Thera and other distinguished persons in the Polgahawela area.
Zahira MV was established in1968 with 48 students and 4 teachers in a single building. It was led by S.C.Inul Haq as the first Principal.During Zahira’s path, the first milestone was reached when the first batch sat for G.C.E. (O/L) in 1973.When the A/L streams started in 1974, the school was promoted as MahaVidyalaya.
At present, Zahira MV is under the guidance of Mr. M Samadu (SLEAS) who is selflessly serving the school while maintaining its standards.The student population in this College is 1400 and there are 70 dedicated teachers to guide them. College has now become one of the leading Schools in the area and one reason for its popularity is the dedication and the loyalty of the staff.
AMI Carmel Montessori House of Children held their Annual Sports Day recently at the Youth for Christ Community Centre Hendala. There were many colourful activities where the children participated. Pix by M.D.Nissanka
Kebithigollewa Central College is located in a scenic environment in the historical city of Kebithigollewa. It was started in 1902 under the leadership of W.P.Sugathadasa as the first principal. At the start the school was situated in a small hut and had only 12 students.
Maithripala Senanayaka Central College is located in Madawachchiya in the Anuradhapura District. The School is situated amongst natural surroundings with paddy fields and a tank. The college caters to the educational needs of thousands of students in the area. It is a mixed educational establishment and provides education in four subjects streams such as arts, science, commerce and technology for the students in the A/L section. The secondary section of the school consists of six grades starting from grade six. The college has a student population of 1655, most of them are the children of the farming community.
Anuradhapura Central College which is considered as the heart of Anuradhapura is situated in Anuradhapura, the capital city of the North Central Province. It was established on July 21, 1947 under the initiative of Mr. R.L.N. de. Zoyza in the Rathmale area where the Rathmale Tissa Vidyalaya is situated at present.
It was established on July 21, 1947 under the concept of free education by Dr. C. W. W. Kannangara the Minister of Education at that time. It is among the first 34 Central Colleges. Mr. R L N de Zoysa was the first principal and there were only 7 teachers and 20 students in the school at that time.
Ananda National School which can be considered as the crowning glory of Puttalam district is a Buddhist mixed school with a students’ population exceeding 3500.
Holy Trinity Science College is one of the pioneer Tamil Medium Schools in the Nuwara Eliya Education Zone. It is a 1 AB school situated along the Nuwara Eliya – Udapussellawa Road amidst with the scenic mount range which captures the natural beauty in the heart of Nuwara Eliya Town. It has been developed under 1000 school project including a Technical Laboratory.
St.Mary’s College is equipped with the immense blessings of Mary its Patroness, supported by a well-qualified staff and bounded by beautiful sandy beaches and crystal clear Turkish blue waters gives the students a tranquil environment rich with a Christian aura.
From the place where singing fish sings of the grace and mighty, St. Michael’s College, - College second to None” - an institution with a great tradition, always have been instituting in the character formation of our young people especially in schools which create the leaders of tomorrow and presently this school is the largest and leading one in the Batticaloa District.
Ramakrishna Mission Sri Koneswara Hindu College, a prestigious Educational Institution in the coastal town of Trincomalee in Eastern Sri Lanka, was founded in 1897 by some Hindu luminaries.
St. Joseph’s College, Trincomalee is one of the leading National Schools in the country which has produced many highly qualified personalities to the nation as well as the world.
Our Lady’s School (Junior), Nuwara Eliya, was founded in 1902, as a private school for European students. Sister Mary Alponso (A European nun) marked as the first principal from 1902 – 1912 for 57 students and 4 teachers, up to Grade 7. The education was given in English.