Our Lady’s school in its initial commencement was in a temporary building in the heart of Nuwara Eliya town and one year later was shifted to its current location in Blackpool, picturesque heavenly piece of land situated 3 km away from Nuwara Eliya on the way to Horton Plains.
Zahira College Mawanella which lies at Hingulloya, a village just 1 KM away from the Mawanella town is the only fully fledged Tamil Medium national school in the Sabaragamuwa Province. It provides total education for both boys and girls at all levels: primary, secondary and senior levels, in Tamil medium with bilingual education for students from grade 6 six onwards. It has also a wide variety of extracurricular activities. Zahira is a home for 3,300 day school children from all around the Island.
Mahajana College, Batticaloa which is more than 140 years old is one of the fast growing colleges in Batticaloa district.
True to her motto; “As we sow – As we reap”, Kegalu Vidyalaya proudly placed in the heart of Kegalle District, surrounded by an aesthetic background in a beautiful range of mountains. It is one of the pioneer Buddhist schools in Sabaragamuwa province. The convenient location of the college makes it quite popular in the island. Today Kegalu Vidyalaya is stepping to a glorious era being enlisted as one of the best four schools in Kegalle district in Sabaragamuwa province which produces excellent results in G. C. E. O/L and A/L examinations
Kegalu Balika Vidyalaya which was initiated in 1943, as the first Buddhist Girl’s school in Kegalle district, by the activists of “Parama Vingnanartha Buddhist Association”, as a protest against the education system which prevailed in English Missionary schools, is situated in the heart of Kegalle city, just a kilometre away from the busy town, providing a beautiful mountainous atmosphere and a large spacious background.
St. Gabriel’s Girls College which has a great history of 75 years is situated in the heart of Hatton town in the Nuwara-Eliya district in the Central Province.
It was started in a Roman Catholic Church as a missionary school in the year 1930, by a sister of the Franciscan Missionaries, namely Rev. Sister Whoosten with five students. At the beginning it was named as St. Gabriel’s English school and the children in the plantation sector were privileged to enter this school.
St. John Bosco’s College is situated in the Town of Hatton close to the Holy Cross Church where a scenic view of the railway built by the British to carry tea to Colombo is visible.
Belonging to the educational division of Mawathagama Educational zone of Kurunegala, Mawathagama National school is situated in the North Western Province with a student population of 2700. The school consists of 130 academic staff and 17 non-academic staff. The Advanced Level subject stream is comprised with Science, Art and commerce Sections and consequently this school is considered as a leading school in the area. The present Principal Mr.H.M.G.Herath has dedicated himself in guiding the students in the correct path according to the vision and mission of the school.
Hatton Highlands which has produced many excellent personalities over 125 years of its history, lies among beautiful mountains and winding rivers. This school had a humble beginning in 1892 at the foot of the Sinhamale.
Maliyadeva College, Kurunegala is one of the oldest Buddhist schools in Sri Lanka. During the time British rulers were governing Sri Lanka, a few Buddhist schools were started by Anagarika Dharmapala and Col. Henry Olcott in different parts of Sri Lanka. Maliyadeva College is one of those.
Sri Rahula Central College – Alawwa is a renowned school in North Western province which is located 300m away from Alawwa town. It has a very long history. It was established in 1910 where there were only 10 to 15 students studied in a thatched hall. This was then an English Medium school and later became a boys’ school. Again it became a mixed school in 1946. Afterward C.W.C. Kannangara, the late Education Minister has nominated this school as a junior school.
Dhammmisara Madya Maha Vidyalaya is a leading school in the Chilaw Educational Zone, Puttalam. The school celebrated its centenary in 2013 with great pride.
This school was inaugurated in 1913 as the first English medium school in the North Central Province and it was renamed as Government Bilingual School in 1920. In 1958 they were able to become the first central college in the province. In 1960 the school enjoyed the harvest of producing 2 Arts stream students to university level. At that time, the school was renamed as Naththandiya Dhammisara Madya Maha Vidyalaya with due respect to the North Central Province Chief Incumbent Ven. Narawita Dhammisara Thera. In 1975, three science stream students entered the Medical Faculty. Gynecologist Dr. Kapila Gunawardena is one of them.
Though Newburg Tamil Maha Vidyalaya was inaugurated as an estate primary in the Uva Province, today it is one of the leading Tamil medium schools in the Bandarawela Educational zone. It is a 1C school, situated on the Bandarawela - Passara main road between the Namunukula Mountain range and the Rawana Ella falls, turning from the Kumbalwela junction.
Sri Sumangala Madya Maha Vidyalaya, Wariyapola is a leading educational Institution in the North Western Province which bears the name of Rev. Sumangala Thera who did not let the motherland, Sri Lanka yield to British imperialism. At present this prestigious institution provides primary and secondary education to the students of the area.
Panduwasnuwara S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike Central College (National School) is located in the calm, spacious and lush environment close to the Kurunegala - Chilaw Main Road, spreading through in a 15 acre area in the ancient kingdom of Panduwasnuwara in the North Western Province named as Parakramapura during Polonnaru Era. The school belongs to the Kuliyapitiya Education Zone.
Shivananda Vidyalayam is an ancient and reputed school in the Batticaloa District which serves the society under the guidance and blessings of the Batticaloa Rama Krishna Mission.
A swashbuckling unbeaten 205 by Mahanama Panadura skipper Kamil Mishara helped his side to book a berth to the quarter final of the Under 13 Division Two inter-schools cricket tournament. Kamil’s 129 ball knock which comprised 29 boundaries and nine sixes enabled Mahanama to record an easy first inning win over CWW Kannangara MMV Hunumulla in the pre-quarter final encounter.
Vigneswara College which is now 97 years old is in the ‘nervous nineties’ to reach its centenary. This institution has provided high quality services to the students of the area of Karaveddy.
This educational institution is one of the leading and well recognised institutions not only in the Mannar District but also in the whole Northern Province for providing general education. Sithivinayakar Hindu College is situated in the heart of Mannar town along the Pallimunai Road in a convenient and pleasant environment.
Vavuniya Hindu College (VHC) is a school which is distinguished as the blue school. It stands tall in the Pudhukkulam Road in Vavuniya district with many successes.